Dr. Stan Scheer Memorial
Student Opportunity Fund
The purpose of the Dr. Stan Scheer Memorial Student Opportunity Fund is to provide financial support that removes barriers for Thompson School District students to embrace individual academic, leadership, recognition and extracurricular opportunities that would otherwise be inaccessible because of financial need.
1) The opportunities can be local, in state or out of state.
2) This is a fund of last resort to fill gaps or shortfalls when other funding sources can’t meet the full need of the opportunity.
3) Students need to be recommended by district, school or coaching staff.
4) Support from this fund is intended for individual students, not teams, groups or clubs as a whole. Support could provide the opportunity for an individual student to participate in a team, group or club activity.
5) Opportunities must be Thompson School District approved or sponsored and can be curricular or extracurricular.
6) Funding amount and purpose will be awarded by TEF Executive Director discretion using the guidelines of the fund agreement. Examples of opportunities are:
-Registration fees for clubs, activities or recognition activities
-Audition fees for education sponsored competitions like all-state band or chorus
-School expenses like supply fees (example: art classes), yearbook, graduation cap & gown, prom ticket, uniform, AP test fees, individual musical instrument repair/replacement, etc. are eligible. An expense can be considered if it allows the student to excel in and embrace their education and related activities.
-Travel reimbursement for a student to attend an educational or recognition event (example: student paid portion of travel to a DECA competition). This reimbursement is for students only, not family members or staff.
7) General gifts will be in the range of $50-$250 with possible exceptions for opportunities up to $750.
8) Funding requests need to be submitted during the school year calendar to be considered. A district approved or sponsored student opportunity may take place during a school break but the funding request must be made during the school year.
A lifelong educator in work and in life, Dr. Stan Scheer provided innovative, strong and steady leadership at the superintendent level in Hazelton, MO, Littleton, CO, Murrieta, CA and Loveland, CO. He retired in June 2018 after serving as superintendent for the Thompson School District. Dr. Scheer was always about the “extra”. He exemplified going the extra mile when caring for others; when celebrating the success of his family, friends, staff and students; and when faced with tough challenges, he always made the extra effort to guide himself and others through. He was the comforting hand on the shoulder of a tired friend, the mile-wide smile for the colleague having a good day, the loving husband/father/grandfather to his family and the inspiration for thousands of students across the country. Dr. Stan Scheer was a man of heart and integrity. To honor his memory, Thompson Education Foundation has created the Dr. Stan Scheer Memorial Student Opportunity Fund to emulate his “extra” for students. Quietly, in the background, Dr. Scheer assisted students financially, many in such a way that they often didn’t know where the support came from. This fund will continue his support for Thompson School District students, providing gap funding and ensuring opportunities when there are barriers in the way.